Jones Mfg. Co., Columbus, OH
Title C. 1930 TWINE / CORD CUTTER ADVERTISING MESSER CANDY.
Publisher C. 1930.
Seller ID 90-0034
The front half of the tube has both sides open to received the twine which can be scooped into the opening using the rounded ends of the top & bottom of the tube. The twine is guided to the blade by a loop of heavy steel wire which extends from the front end of the handle to the front of the tube and curvesupward to the top of the tube. The blade is positioned perpendicularly to the bottom of the tube and rises to a position between the wires forming the loop. Stamped Made By Jones Mfg. Co. Pat Pend Col's. O. within a rectangle. This tool was patented May 8, 1923 [1,454,543] by Edwin R. Jones of Columbus, OH who filed an application May 2, 1922. According to the patent, the holedrilled in the end of the handle was intended to accommodate a base (also included in the patent) which would allow the tool to be used in a fixed, vertical position rather than hand held. Little is available about Messer's. It was founded by a Scottish immigrant, John Messer (b. 1840), who emigrate to the USA in 1860 and by 1870 had established a retail confectionery business in Pittsburgh, PA. A city directory for 1900 lists John and Edward Messer with John Messer & Son. Edward (b. 1875) was the youngest son of the founder, who also a son, John L. (b. 1865), who apparently continue the business in Pittsburgh. Official records list the Messer Candy Co. in Pittsburgh, the earliest being in1905 and the latest 1920. John L. is listed in the 1930 census as a confectionery manufacturer, while Edward appears in Cincinnati as a candy salesman, and an E. Messer Confectionery Co. is mentioned in a 1934 Cincinnati record. Obvious signs ofuse with no major defects.